Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I know it's been a while, but things have been so busy this summer! First our Oregon trip and then various projects around the house (including the garage, which was a total mess, but now we can almost park our cars in it!).

Brian convinced me to take the one class I was missing in order to have an Associates degree. Even though I am well into my junior year, he thought it would be a good idea (and I agree) to take that one class, that way, the associates degree transfers with me no matter what, and none of my classes would ever be wasted. So I spent the last 5 weeks of summer in an evening class...weight training of all things - I needed a second PE course and I had already taken running two years ago...an easy A, but a lot of fun - the college has a great workout area and I was able to do cardio and weight training 3 days a week. Now I can apply for my Associates...wahoo!

Brian got to go to Utah to celebrate his mom's birthday...we were so excited that he got to go! All accounts agree that they had an awesome time - I would have wrapped him up for her, but I'm sure airport security would have alerted Homeland Security...paper cuts can be lethal ya' know. :-)

The week of my final came and we got to celebrate by hosting some of our awesome nieces and nephew! It was wonderful, we got to spend time in the Houston Museum of Natural Science and an entire day at Schlitterbahn, the best water park ever! We had a blast - and no one got burned...even the two red heads, which is quite an accomplishment!

Now that Gustav has passed us by, we are gearing up for Hannah, Ike and Josephine...it seems to be a very busy time for storms down here in the tropics. We were on standby until 2 pm on Sunday with Brian's work. They told us Saturday that they would make the final decision to ship us up to Dallas by then. Brian's boss told them to go home after work Saturday and pack (of course they didn't let them out early, so Brian didn't get home until after 8:30 PM). If they made the decision to ship us out Sunday afternoon, Brian would have 30 minutes to drive home, pick me up, and drive to Dallas by 7 PM...crazy, huh?! We were on pins and needles, praying that the storm wouldn't come here, and that it would hit somewhere where as few people as possible would be affected. Needless to say, we were quite relieved not to have to go...I celebrated by taking a nap Sunday afternoon... :-)

We are now counting down until our Florida vacation in October - Sandestin, here we come! Sandestin is a resort in the city of Destin, located on a peninsula in the Florida panhandle. I can't do justice to their beautiful beaches - sugar white sand and emerald green water (on the Gulf side!) - and it is only a 9 hour drive from Houston! I still can't believe we're on the same Gulf. Brian got us a sweet deal - we're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott for 5 days for only $170...can you believe it?

2 comments:

annette said...

Congrats on the Assoc. degree! Weight training, hu? I bet you're buff!

The kids had a blast! TY so much for having them.

Glad to hear the storm wasn't as bad as feared. You are in our prayers this stormy season.

Yea for Florida! What a great way to celebrate your 1st aniversary!

Panama Jones said...

Thanks for the update. I kept checking your blog and seeing "Edouard is here" and I thought, "still?"

I'm sure you're having fun with Ike now and assume you are in or on your way to Dallas. Mother Nature can sure complicate things sometimes. Seriously, I hope all is well with you, your home and friend and family in the area.

Our Florida Trip - October 2008

Our Oregon Trip Photos

Our Favorite Music